Hello Everyone, I decided to start this here blog to share my day to day adventures with you while I'm in Belize. So stay tuned for my crazy antics and "dang-it" moments.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Today we got to explore the town of San Ignacio its very well different than anything back home. It reminded me of Tijunana only less dirty and less cramped.
This is the Saturday market. It was packed full of fruits and vegetables, clothes, shoes, and other goods.
Like these chickens.
When we got back we had the rest of the day to ourselves so a group of us decided to check out Cahal Pech, an archaeological reserve where there are ancient mayan ruins. Cahal Pech means "Place of the Ticks" and it was home to an elite mayan family and their staff. In 900 A.D. it was abandoned, maybe because they were sick of the all the ticks.
This is a courtyard strictly for the elite, it sits higher up than the rest of grounds.

Tonight we're all going into town for dinner. Tomorrow should be an awesome trip I'm going to Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM for short). Its a cave deep in the jungle. We have to swim in and then climb through a maze of rocks to this dry chamber that was used by the mayans to preform sacred ceremonies. The cave has been left exactly how it was found so I should get to see some pretty neat stuff. :D

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam!! This is so cool!

    And I think "Trabuco" also means "Place of the Ticks" ... right?

    xox
    Rena

    ReplyDelete